Have you noticed areas of red, dry, itchy skin on your ankles recently? You may have eczema otherwise referred to as dermatitis.
Eczema is a common skin condition that can affect both children and adults. Although it is not fully understood yet what causes eczema we do understand that it usually runs in families, and that many individuals who have the condition also suffer from allergic reactions themselves such as those with hay fever and asthma.
Having eczema means that the skin barrier is damaged, Individuals who have eczema find it difficult to keep the moisture in their skin making the skin more susceptible to irritants and allergens, thus the skin becomes dry and easily irritable.
This causes chemicals to be released, which worsens the irritation and makes the individual want to scratch the area, but scratching will only make the skin more irritable, thus the sequence repeats making for a very frustrating experience to deal with.
What can trigger Eczema?
- Dry skin
- Scratching the affected area
- Viral or bacterial infections
- Chlorine from swimming pools
- Sand, particularly from sandpits
- Contact with some types of carpet or grass
- Allergens that you can breathe in ie. pollen
- Artificial colours and preservatives
- Perfumes, soap and chemicals
- Woollen or synthetic fabrics
- Heat or very hot rooms
- Rubber gloves
- Low humid weather conditions
- Continual exposure to water (maceration)
What are the symptoms of Eczema?
- Itchy skin
- Red skin
- Skin may be weeping in some instances
If you suffer from the symptoms mentioned then you may have eczema.
If you have any concerns come visit one of the many knowledgeable podiatrists at PodiatryHQ for a full examination today.