If you’ve had an ingrown toenail before, you know exactly how excruciatingly painful it can be. Did you know there are permanent solutions in getting rid of those ingrown toenails forever?
Ingrown toenail – What is it?
Ingrown toenails are a common problem and occur when the edge of the nail grows into the flesh causing tremendous pain. The punctured skin can become inflamed and infected.
- Regular visits to the podiatrist (6-8 weeks) for removal of the offending nail edge
- Proper cutting of toenails
- Warm, salt soaks and application of betadine to keep infection at bay
Partial Nail Avulsion Surgery – What is it?
It is minor operation removing the ingrowing section of the toenail and applying a caustic chemical to destroy the nail matrix to prevent the regrowth of the ingrowing section.
When is it recommended?
- Chronic history of ingrown toenails
- Constantly infected, painful ingrown toenails
- When all conservative measures have been exhausted
If you are interested to learn more about this minor procedure, come visit one of our friendly podiatrists at Podiatry HQ South Melbourne who will be more than happy to walk you through the surgery.