A Podiatry Diabetic Risk Assessment should be carried out annually. High Risk patients will be checked more frequently.
The assessment will look at these factors:
• Measurement of foot pulses
• Foot temperature check
• Monitoring foot sensation with a 5.07 Weinstein filament
• Vibration perception test
• Skin texture (dryness, maceration)
• Foot and leg skin colour (redness, bruising, blanching etc)
The results contribute to a patients risk status for foot problems. The baseline results will be reassessed and compared at appropriate intervals, relative to the patients risk level.
If there is a significant change in any area, the Podiatrist will refer the patient on for appropriate medical attention and or testing.