The human foot contains 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles and tendons! Our feet also carry us daily and we apply a lot of pressure on them, therefore it is important we take care of them. Here are some tips to help you take care of your feet.
- Keep your feet clean and dry – make sure you dry between your toes after showering and if your feet get very sweaty, try changing your socks during the day.
- Apply cream to your feet daily, but not in between your toes, we want to keep in between our toes nice and dry.
- Check your feet daily
- Cut your toe nails straight across
- Don’t cut down the sides of your toe nails
- Wear appropriate footwear, round toed shoes with a fastening – avoid narrow, pointy shoes
- Wear thongs around public pools and in public showers, avoid catching tinea or a fungal nail infection
- Don’t leave nail polish on too long it can discolour your nails, and don’t hide a fungal nail infection with nail polish, get it treated.
- Massage your feet with a golf ball. Roll your foot on a golf ball while sitting down to make your feet feel light and less tired.
- Get regular check-ups at your podiatrist. If you are getting any pain or discomfort in your lower legs, feet or nails, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with one of our friendly podiatrists who will address all your needs.
If you’re worried or have any questions, don’t hesitate to book in and see one of our friendly podiatrists today!